The Pentax 645D is all about image quality, its 40-megapixel Kodak KAF-4000 medium-format CCD sensor produces high-end quality images with the finest details we have ever seen from a camera. The 645D also outguns top-end full-frame digital SLR cameras like the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III and the Nikon D3X in terms of image quality. Either at base ISO or high ISO settings, the 645D can always deliver sharper images with truer colors and finer details than those of the 1Ds Mark III or the D3X. It is worth noting that the images produced by the 645D up to ISO 800 are still perfect for 48” x 36” photo prints. Even the images produced at ISO 1,600 are still perfect for very large photo prints up to 36” x 26” inch.
The Pentax 645D with its 40-megapixel 44 x 33 mm sensor might not be the direct competitor of the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III with its 21.1-megapixel 36 x 24 mm sensor and the Nikon D3X with its 24.5-megapixel 36 x 24 mm sensor in terms of specifications; however, when it comes to price tag, the 645D could be considered as the direct competitor of both the 1Ds Mark III and the D3X, since the 645D’s manufacturer’s suggested retail price tag of US$ 10,000 is close to those of both the 1Ds Mark III and the D3X, and far below those of other medium-format digital SLR cameras such as the Hasselblad H4D-40.
The Pentax 645D has won the Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) award 2011 in the Best D-SLR Professional category. It has also been crowned as the European Professional Camera 2011 – 2012 by the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA). Last but not least, the 645D has also been chosen as the Camera of the Year at Camera GP Japan 2011. All those awards are the highest-recognized awards in the Photography world.
The Pentax 645D is a phenomenal medium-format digital SLR camera. It offers super-high-resolution images with the finest details we have ever seen from a camera, a lightweight body for excellent maneuverability, and an outstanding build quality for maximum reliability. And the best thing is that the 645D is not expensive for a medium-format digital SLR camera, it is priced only a little bit higher than the current best full-frame digital SLR cameras. If you are serious in doing high-end digital photography, especially outside the studio, the 645D might be the perfect camera for you. The 645D is available now for US$8,799.95, this price includes automatic enrollment in Pentax’s Professional Services Program.
Pentax 645D specifications:
- 40MP Kodak KAF-40000 medium-format (44 x 33 mm) CCD sensor
- Pentax Real Image Engine II (Prime II) processor
- Pentax 645AF2 bayonet mount, compatible with the company’s existing medium-format lenses
- 11-point autofocus system
- Shutter speed: 30 – 1/4000 sec
- Sensitivity range: ISO 100 – 1,600
- Exposure compensation: ±5 at 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV increments
- 1.1 frames per second continuous drive
- Trapezoid-shaped glass prism optical viewfinder with 98% frame coverage
- 3” 921k dot resolution TFT LCD screen with wide-viewing angle and AR coating
- Built-in stereo microphones
- Integrated hot shoe
- Mirror lockup dial
- Dual memory card slots
- Compatible with SD / SDHC memory cards
- Mini HDMI type C and USB 2.0 high-speed connectivity
- D-LI90 li-ion rechargeable battery
- Dimensions: 156 x 117 x 119 mm (6.14 x 4.61 x 4.69 in)
- Weight: 1480 g (3.26 lb )
- Dustproof and freezeproof down to –10 °C (14 °F)